Welfare Support & Advice
How can Unity help?
If you are struggling to pay your rent (or other bills) there are a number of staff at Unity who may be able to help you.
Income Management Officers
If you are struggling to understand your rent statement or need some help managing your rent account, you should speak to one of our Income Management Officers. They can help you come to an arrangement about how you can clear any arrears you might have at a rate that you can afford, and help you to maintain your tenancy by ensuring that you are able to keep up with rent payments.
If you need practical advice about how to manage debts or cut your spending, use our Online Budgeting Tool.
To maximise your income by claiming all the benefits you are entitled to, use our Benefit Calculator.
Our Income Management Officers can help you use either tool and will support you in following the advice provided.
If finding work could be the answer to your money worries, why not talk to someone from Unity’s Employment Team? The Team can offer you free, one-to-one employment and careers advice tailored to your needs. Click here for more information.
Where else can I get help?
If you are experiencing difficulty paying your rent, we understand that you may wish to talk to someone else about it other than your landlord. You could try these organisations:
- Step Change Debt Charity Step Change gives free confidential advice and support over the telephone. Call 0800 138 1111 or visit their website.
- Money Information Centre: A website aimed at helping people in Leeds with money problems. Advice on debt, saving money and affordable loans. Visit their website.
- Better Leeds Communities: Better Leeds Communities offer free advice on benefits, debt, housing and fuel better. Call 0113 275 4142, or visit their website.
- Leeds Citizens Advice Bureau: Leeds CAB has bureaux in five sites across Leeds. They can offer appointments to advise on a range of issues. Call 0113 223 4400 or visit the website.
- Christians Against Poverty: A debt counselling charity that offers help to anyone, regardless of religion. They offer home visits. Call 0800 328 0006 or the visit the website.
- Money Advice Service: Free and impartial advice from the Government; including debt, banking, budgeting saving, retiring and banking. Call 0300 500 5000 or visit the website.
For more information please download one of our leaflets by clicking the link at the side of the page.