Renting A Home

Transfers & Mutual Exchanges


If you are already a Unity tenant and want us to move to a different home , we call this a ‘transfer’. If you apply to transfer to another Unity property you must have a good reason to move. For instance:
• You are now over or under occupying your home.
• You are the victim of harassment or your health and safety is at risk
• Your current home doesn’t match your medical needs.
Depending on your circumstances, if any properties we feel are suitable for you become available we will consider your request.

Mutual Exchanges

We will only accommodate direct exchanges. A direct exchange is a mutual exchange between two parties. This might be because your home is too small for your family, or if it is too big and you are considered to be ‘under-occupying’. Exchanges don’t have to be between Unity tenants, you can swap with any other housing association or council tenant. Remember, you must have Unity’s permission to complete a mutual exchange. If you swap homes without your landlord’s written permission, you are living there illegally and risk eviction. Please speak to our Customer Services Team on 0113 200 7700 to see if you are eligible.

You should then:

• Complete an application for a Leeds Homes Leedshomes or Kirklees Kirkleeschoosenmove to receive a bidding number

• Go to the website Houseexchange to register your details, when you find someone to swap with contact us on 0113 2007700 and we will send you our Unity Application form

When we receive this form back from you we will contact you to register your mutual exchange request.
We would then check whether it is suitable for your mutual exchange to go ahead this would involve:

• Inspecting the condition of your property
• Checking whether you are in rent arrears or have been served with a Notice of Seeking Possession
• Whether the property you want to swap with is suitable for your needs
• Obtaining a reference from the landlord of the person you want to swap with
• Providing a Unity reference to the landlord of the person you want to swap with

Once these checks have been carried out we would advise you if your exchange can go ahead, you cannot exchange without Unity’s written permission.