Welfare Support & Advice

How can Unity help?

If you are struggling to pay your rent (or other bills) there are a number of staff at Unity who may be able to help you.

Income Management Officers

If you are struggling to understand your rent statement or need some help managing your rent account, you may wish to speak to one of our Income Management Officers. They can help you come to an arrangement about how you can clear any arrears you might have at a rate that you can afford, and help you to maintain your tenancy by ensuring that you are able to keep up with rent payments.

If you need practical advice about how to manage debts, cut your spending and maximise your income by claiming all the benefits you are entitled to, our Income Management Officers will work in partnership with our Income Management Team Leader to assist you, for free.

Call Sam on 0113 200 7737 (click here to email) or Matthew on 0113 200 7733 (click here to email) if you could benefit from some free help and advice.

Income Management Team Leader

Book an appointment with the Income Management Team Leader if you could benefit from:

  • Advice managing your income and outgoings
  • Help creating a plan so you can pay the most important bills
  • Help reaching a solution if you are struggling to pay your rent
  • Help if you are worried about your housing benefit being reduced
  • Help if you are worried about paying your rent after Universal Credit is introduced
  • Help getting a bank account or advice about which bank account will best suit your needs
  • Support with online banking or managing your rent account online
  • Advice about affordable contents insurance packages
  • Help tackling any problems you might have with debt
  • Advice about where else you might go to get help

Call Clive today on 0113 200 7753 (click here to email) if you could benefit from some free help and advice.

Employment Services

If finding work could be the answer to your money worries, why not talk to someone from Unity’s Employment Team? The Team can offer you free, one-to-one employment and careers advice tailored to your needs. Click here for more information.

Where else can I get help?

If you are experiencing difficulty paying your rent, we understand that you may wish to talk to someone else about it other than your landlord. You could try these organisations:

  • Step Change Debt Charity Step Change gives free confidential advice and support over the telephone. Call 0800 138 1111 or visit their website.
  • Money Information Centre: A website aimed at helping people in Leeds with money problems. Advice on debt, saving money and affordable loans. Visit their website.
  • Better Leeds Communities: Better Leeds Communities offer free advice on benefits, debt, housing and fuel better. Call 0113 275 4142, or visit their website.
  • Leeds Citizens Advice Bureau: Leeds CAB has bureaux in five sites across Leeds. They can offer appointments to advise on a range of issues. Call 0113 223 4400 or visit the website.
  • Christians Against Poverty: A debt counselling charity that offers help to anyone, regardless of religion. They offer home visits. Call 0800 328 0006 or the visit the website.
  • Money Advice Service: Free and impartial advice from the Government; including debt, banking, budgeting saving, retiring and banking. Call 0300 500 5000 or visit the website.

For more information please download one of our leaflets by clicking the link at the side of the page.